WHAT IS A TAX APPEAL?
A Tax Appeal is the appealing of a decision from an assessment of taxes by the CRA or IRS that you believe is incorrect or unjust. The purpose of a first tax appeal is to seek resolution usually without court litigation in a manner that is fair and impartial to both the government and the taxpayer. This is possible because administrative Appeals is independent of the CRA/IRS.
Disputed decisions may include:
- CRA Audit
- IRS Audit
- Assessed Interest or Penalties
- Reassessment of Prior Years
- Assessments by Prior Country of Work or Residence
- Withholding Taxes by Foreign Countries on Income or Gambling Winnings
- A Rejected Offer in Compromise
- Adjustments Made to your Tax Liability
Tax laws are extremely complex and require an experienced tax lawyer to help you navigate through the tax appeals process. The C2 Global Law tax lawyers will manage your case from the pre-hearing period through to the Tax Court of Canada or the U.S. if need be. Contact us if:
- You need help determining if you have the grounds for a tax appeal.
- You disagree with a tax assessment you have received indicating taxes are owed.
- There is a dispute over how the government interpreted the income tax law.
- The government used incorrect information in making its determination and you have supporting evidence to back up your claim.
- The government is taking inappropriate collection action against you.
C2 Global Law tax appeals lawyers have successfully represented clients in:
- Appeals to the Tax Court of Canada
- Appeals to the U.S. Tax Court
- Audit Determination Appeals
- Sales Tax Determination Appeals
- Sales Tax Audit Appeals
- Offers in Compromise
- Residency Issues if you Earned Income in Multiple States or Countries
- Settlement of Tax Debts
- Collection Relief from CRA or IRS Collectors
Every taxpayer has the right to appeal a decision by the government that they believe is unfair or unjust. Contact C2 Global Law today to discuss your case and determine whether or not you have grounds for a tax appeal.