The Independent Immigrant class is one of the major categories of people immigrating to Canada. There are four sub-categories of Independent Immigrants:
- Assisted Relative: For applicants who have a relative in Canada who is able and willing to help them settle here
- Skilled Workers: For applicants who have specific occupational skills and experience that meet the needs of Canada's labour market
- Business People: For those who can make a significant contribution to the economy as investors, entrepreneurs, or by running their own business (they should apply to immigrate under the Business Immigration Program)
- Other Independent Immigrants: For those who may be allowed into Canada even though they do not have specific occupational skills or relatives in Canada
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA FOR AN INDEPENDENT IMMIGRANT TO BECOME A RESIDENT OF CANADA?
Independent Immigrant applications are evaluated by a point system which awards points for various selection criteria such as occupation, education, and support from relatives already in Canada. The selection criteria that are used to evaluate an Independent Immigration application depend on which sub-category you apply in. In addition the applicant and the applicant's dependents must:
- Pass a Canadian medical examination
- Pass a security check
- Have valid passports or travel documents
- Sufficient savings or disposable assets to finance their settlement
IF I AM ACCEPTED AS AN INDEPENDENT IMMIGRANT WHAT WILL MY STATUS BE?
You will be a landed immigrant and granted all of the rights and privileges according with this status including but not limited to:
- Permission to reside permanently in Canada
- Freedom to move anywhere in Canada
- Freedom to visit any province or territory in Canada
Achieving landed immigrant status in Canada can be a complicated, arduous, and lengthy process and is best attempted with the help of skilled professionals. Contact the C2 Global Law immigration lawyers today and let us assist with your immigration to Canada.